As mentioned on today’s show during the interview with George Kelling: http://www.wsj.com/articles/william-bratton-and-george-kelling-the-assault-on-broken-windows-policing-1418946183
George Kelling and Bill Bratton: The Assault on ‘Broken Windows’ Policing
Many of Common Core’s critics still lack a persuasive alternative. My new CNN column.
My recent CNN column on the history of the Common Core, why it’s important for the education reform movement, and how its critics still lack a persuasive alternative: http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/02/opinion/bennett-common-core/
What Will Obamacare Cost You? The Manhattan Institute’s Comprehensive Study on the Impact of Obamacare
As mentioned on the show this morning: http://www.forbes.com/special-report/2013/what-will-obamacare-cost-you-map.html
Mrs. Bennett’s Basic Table Manners
Mrs. Bennett’s Basic Table Manners
1. Napkin in the lap.
2. Drink from the glass or glasses to the right over the knife.
3. Your bread and butter plate and salad plate is to the left over the fork. (The memory trick for this is “BMW”: Bread, Meal, Water.)
4. No talking with your mouth full.
5. Try very hard not to spill your food on the table and up the front of your shirt, especially on your tie.
6. Wait to eat until the lady of the house is seated and has raised her fork.
7. Also wait especially at significant meals for a prayer of blessing for the food.
8. Do not blow your nose at the table.
9. Do not place the wine bottle on the floor by your chair.
10. Do not punctuate your sentences in anyway with your silverware.
11. Always, always personally thank the hostess and tell her the food was delicious.
This is especially important if you have left enough food on the floor under your chair for the family dog’s next meal.
12. If you want your mother to go to her grave with a peaceful heart, offer to clear the table, take out the garbage, and always, ALWAYS, follow up with a handwritten Thank You note (not email) within 3 days. I have on file all handwritten notes from youngsters – the file is thin!
This week’s Latin Tuesday lesson courtesy of David Wilezol:
Horace – Odes, Book 3 Poem 4
Vis consili expers mole ruit sua“Power without wisdom falls by its own weight”
CNN: It’s her Ferguson — and it’s not all black and white
Mentioned by Bill on the show this morning: http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/17/us/ferguson-biracial-couple/
- Byron York: Chief Political Correspondent of the Washington Examiner; Fox News Contributor
- George Kelling: Emeritus professor at the School of Criminal Justice at Rutgers University; senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute
Mentioned on the Show
- Support Dr. John Eastman and the National Organization for Marriage HERE
- John Fonte: America’s Patriotic Assimilation System is Broken
- Bill Bennett’s Recommended Historic Places to Visit
- Kim Strassel: The IRS Scandal Started at the Top
- National Review Editors: The Difference the Benghazi Hearings Made
A Leading GOP Congressman Weighs In On Benghazi, Jonathan Gruber, And Why He’s Voting Against the Current Government Funding Bill
Rep. Jim Jordan comments on this week’s Benghazi and Jonathan Gruber hearings and why he’s voting against the current government funding proposal. Download
Jenny from St. Joseph, Michigan submits her Jonathan Gruber contest song set to the tune of John Denver’s “Fly Away.” Download
Dr. Steve submits his Jonathan Gruber contest song set to the tune of Roy Orbison’s “Crying.” Download